Along that note is what I want to share. I'm not sure who is reading this blog so I want to just share some things I am learning while living. God has placed us in a new place and we are learning tons right now! I am loving working at Sears. Not really the job, which is just ok, but I love working with the people! It's not quite fast food "do you want frys with that" type relationships, or the deep relationships that I had with some people when I was working in the church, but it's kind of an in between short term relationship. I think the reason that I am so good at my job is I can stand around with a customer for hours building a friendship and hearing about their lives and then sell them something that they need that they came in for. In just a few short weeks I have made quite a base of customers that come to only me when they come to sears! I love being able to just listen to people and I know that there is a bunch of people that truly just need someone to listen to them. I know when you think of someone working in the Sears lawn and garden section you don't really think you are going to tell your life story to them, but you would be so surprised at how many people need just that! People here are so real. I love it! Whether its the customers or my coworkers, people are REAL. They aren't ashamed to tell me about the mistakes they've made in their lives and they are not going to try to cover them up either! I have realized that even people who don't go to church, believe it or not, know there is a right and wrong. Some of them choose to ignore it, but most of them in their hearts know there is something more than this life. I have had the chance over the past few months to be able to live an example where people openly walk up to me and say "what is that about you?" I'm not trying to brag, but I tell you, people can notice God flowing out of you. This job has created a craving in my heart for the "real person." The person who doesn't go to church and live a fake life and pretend that everything is perfect, that pretends that as long as they look good on sunday morning they can live however they want, the person who isn't afraid to share their mistakes with the people they trust. I'm not saying I will never work in a church again, but I love when people are real. We live in a "condo" style apartment, so we only have a few neighbors and their doors are a little ways away. If we wanted to, I could go my entire time living here without talking to them. I have spent quite a bit of time in the garage lately getting the bike cleaned and my neighbors are starting to sneak out of their houses and we are making new friends. Once again, these people aren't church goers. They have made mistakes, they know it, but after just a few conversations they are willing to talk about some pretty deep stuff with me. When we moved I was of course discouraged that I wasn't jumping right into another job at a church. I know we need some time for Ashley and I to be married and build our family first so that our ministry can be the strongest and that was the push of the move, but I was still disappointed about leaving what I love and working at some retail job. I have to admit though, I have had some amazing talks with some people that have really changed my perspective of what it means to minister! I am excited about meeting new people. Of course the last thing I try to talk about is the fact that I went to school to be a 'pastor' cause then their attitude changes a lil', but these people are so real. I love it, and in some of our conversations I have already started building a relationship with some people that I KNOW God is laying on my heart! It is truly an amazing experience that I have been missing out on being in such a tight Christian bubble.
People want to be loved on. I know this is getting long so here is my point: Make sure to go out of your way to start finding people to just be there for. Make a list of some friends that aren't Christians to pray for. Can't think of any? SHAME ON YOU! Our sole purpose on this earth is to tell people about Jesus everywhere and if you know no one who needs Jesus, you are wasting your time! I pray my short time here in Fort Wayne is spent well building friendships so that Christ may open the door and I can share my first love, Christ, with those who need him so badly.
No comments:
Post a Comment